Thursday, November 15, 2012

Embracing Hokey

Have you ever been to a business meeting or a seminar and listened to a hokey motivational speaker who was so full of sunshine and positive energy, that you just wanted to hurl? 

Tuesday evening I observed one of hokiest, happiest,  energetic speakers I have ever heard. He even made us jump out of our chairs every five minutes and declare how awesome we were. Then we had to high-five the stranger next to us and tell them how awesome they were.   

But what may surprise you, is that during this entire event, not one person looked like they wanted to hurl. There was not even so much as an eye-roll.  In fact, I heard more 'Amens'  from that audience than at a Baptist revival. They were completely and utterly enthralled.  

And so was I.

Because here's the thing: I'm a fan of happy and energetic people.  I kind of like hokey.  I might even embrace hokey and I don't really mind sitting in front of a gifted speaker who can wake me up and shake me out of my comfort zone.  

And that's exactly what he did. But, what impacted me most was a challenge he gave us.  "Want to change your life for the better?" Mr. Energy asked. "Go 7 days without complaining."

I was still feeling the effects of the previous night's influx of motivation when I awoke Wednesday morning. And though I consider myself a very positive person, I could not stop thinking about his challenge.  

So, despite the fact that I'm pretty sure that Mr. Energy  laid down the gauntlet for the whiners in the group and not an optimist like me, I decided to accept the challenge: 

No complaining for 7 days. 

This was going to be a breeze! I could improve my life a little and at the same time, set an  example for others not blessed with my sunny disposition. 

Other than a minor road rage incident (more about that next time) yesterday morning, I was doing great. Until I began to write this post.

I had some problems with the new 'Blogger' interface that the geeks at Google decided to change from a perfectly good, user-friendly one into a hot-complicated-mess! (Do rants count?)

I eventually figured it out, but not without some whining and okay, there may have even been some colorful language involved. 

Crap. I may be off to a bad start. Have you ever noticed that humble pie tastes nothing like pumpkin?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such a talented writer! Good luck with your challenge!